The Thanksgiving menu is final. For now. I think. Maybe. I keep finding so many good recipes that I’m having a hard time making up my mind. Like most of what goes on in my kitchen, it will be a mix of family traditions and new tastes.
Grocery shopping is on the agenda for Sunday so I should decide by then. Here’s the current plan:
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Herb-Roux Roasted Turkey – My grandmother always coated her turkeys with a thick roux and my mother in turn did the same thing. It helps keep the turkey nice and moist. I’ve tweaked it by adding a big bunch of fresh herbs. The “stuff” as we always called it, the crusty baked roux, is delicous and we always pick on it once the bird is out of the oven.
- Gravy – that roux makes a fantastic base for gravy!
- Cornbread-Biscuit-Bacon Dressing – Again one that’s based on my grandmother’s Thanksgiving cooking. She always made cornbread and biscuits ahead of time for the basis of her dressing. And it’s always DRESSING, never stuffing! The bacon is my addition.
- Corn Pudding Stuffed Mini-Pumpkins
- Roasted Green Beans with Carrots and Red Onions
- Herbed Yeast Rolls
- Apple Pie
- Mini Sweet Potato Cheesecakes from Cake,Batter and Bowl – I can’t wait to try these!
We’ll be shooting everything for the blog. My daughter Katie will be doing her usual amazing photographic magic and we’ll have new posts up by next weekend. And we’re already very thankful for all of our many blessings.