I came across this recipe from Nutrition as Nature Intended and knew I had to try it. We eat a lot of Italian bread around here and this is now added to the things that we slather on it, along with Parmesan Spread, Dipping Oil or just a gob of butter. It was also great on a thick slice of toasted bread with a pile of scrambled eggs on top.
I’m thinking ahead to variations now. Basil? Marjoram? Rosemary? Onion? Red pepper?
- Tomatoes, I used at least a couple of pounds. At the last minute I also threw in a basket of grape tomatoes I found buried in the produce drawer.
- Juice of a couple of lemons
- Thyme, a couple of sprigs
- Maple Syrup, 2/3 cup
- Balsamic Vinegar, a couple teaspoons
- Cinnamon, about half a teaspoon
- Salt and Pepper
Chop the tomatoes into rather large chunks.Juice the lemons.Combine everything in a large, heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.Let it cook slowly for at least an hour, or until it’s nice and thick and jam-like.Pull out the spent thyme sprigs.I let it cool for just a bit before spooning it into jars. I knew we weren’t going to save it for long so I didn’t do the whole ‘sterilize the jars’ routine. Slather it on a big slice of bread and enjoy!